Getting admission to universities is challenging. Students start entrance test preparation from the 9th or 10th grade itself. Universities assess the aptitude of the student and admit them accordingly. These entrance tests check your grasp over the subject. They assess your conceptual clarity and ability to solve challenging problems. There are tests for different subjects. One such test is the IB Math Standard Level Exam. It assesses the candidate’s knowledge in different areas of mathematics. Some of these areas are:
- Functions etc.
How to prepare for IB Math Standard Level exam
What do you do before writing your school exams? You prepare a schedule, set achievable targets and maintain consistency in your approach. Studying for this exam is no different. You need to find the best and effective method for preparation. If you want to ace the exam, there are certain tips you should keep in mind. These tips are as follows:
- Study regularly for two hours minimum- You cannot afford to do selective study for the test. Your scores in this test will be your ticket to top-notch universities. To be able to complete the course on time, study for at least two hours daily. This will give you ample time to revise your course.
Do take out time for physical activities too. Do not forget to mix up with your family and friends. Preparing all day for this exam will burn you out in the end. Maintain a balance between both. Remember what they used to say? – “All work and no play make Jack a dull boy”.
- Set Aside Distractions- It’s difficult to resist checking your phone when it pings. But these small activities take up a lot of your precious time. When you sit down to study, keep your table clear from all such distractions. You will be able to concentrate more on the task. This exam is all about concentration and consistency. If you falter in preparation mode, you cannot expect excellent results.
- Revise your notes regularly- No matter how sharp your memory is, it is always better to revise notes. Whenever you attend classes or lectures, prepare comprehensive notes. You can review them if you get stuck in a problem. Your notes will enable you to identify important sections of the exam. You can always add on to class notes as you read about it from different sources.
Preparation based on IB Math Standard Level exam format
To prepare for an exam, you need to know the format of the exam. It helps you in strategizing and focusing on the core areas. The SL exam has six main topics that you need to focus on. These six topics are listed as follows:
- Functions and equations
- Circular Functions and Trigonometry
- Statistics and Probability
IB Math SL exam consists of two papers, you will be allotted an hour and a half for each paper. Each paper is divided into different sections. You will have to attempt short answer questions and long answer questions.
You need to cover the entire syllabus for the exam. It might come across as a daunting task, but it’s not. You need to just stick to your schedule and you will manage to cover the entire syllabus.
- Solve questions from each topic listed above daily. These questions should cover both short answer questions and long answer questions.
- Analyze your mistakes. Identify your areas of weakness.
- Read extensively about your weak areas and attempt more questions.
- Once you are done with sectional tests, start solving practice papers.
- Attempt one paper every other day in the allotted time.
- Don’t spare yourself even an extra second. Treat it as your final examination.
- After completing the test, correct your paper and allot marks accordingly.
- Review your mistakes and identify the problematic areas.
- Always spend half an hour on the analysis part.
- Keep a record of your scores and check them every week. This will enable you to evaluate your progress.
How to score a 7 in Math Standard Level
If you wish to excel in the exam, you should aim for scoring a 7 in the result. Though an average student can manage a 6, scoring 7 will give you an edge over others. Here are certain tips that you should remember and follow to score a 7 in the exam:
Try scoring full in internal assessment.
Scoring full or more than 15 in internal assessment gives you an edge over others. In case, your exam doesn’t go as planned, you will have IA scores to fall back on. You have all the resources at your disposal for achieving high scores in internal assessment. Make use of them. Scoring high marks will leave you room to make errors in the final exams.
If you wish to score high marks in IA exam, be thorough with the marking criteria. Do what is needed for achieving the highest scores in each criterion.
Remember the formulas like the back of your hand.
No matter how good you are at calculations and concept, don’t miss out on formulas. Each commonly used formula should be present at the tip of your tongue. It’s understandable that with so many formulas, anyone can get confused. To avoid such a situation, try solving at least ten questions for each formula. If not, you can always refer to formula booklet during the examination.
You are allowed to use a calculator in the exam. Make most of this opportunity. Learn a few simple tricks that allow you to perform shortcuts. You can double-check your solutions with the help of a calculator.
Get familiar with common questions.
Every topic has certain common questions that are asked every year. You cannot learn every question. Hence, it is better if you understand the theory behind it. Knowing the theory inside out, you can apply it to new questions and situations. You can also prepare a list of all the theories. You can refer to them a day before the final exam.
Solve past papers.
Solving previous year papers will give you a fair idea about the exam. You will learn about different types of questions and manners in which they are asked. Solving past papers will help you identify your strengths and weaknesses. You will also develop a habit of sitting through an hour and a half long paper. You can develop your techniques along the line to tackle difficult questions.
If you wish to know more about how to prepare for IB Math standard level exam, contact Sage Education. We have an expert team of professionals who design the curriculum for the students. You can share your queries on their forum and we will reach out to you. If you wish to obtain study material, you can send us a mail. You can also register on our website. Reach out to us and start with your preparation right away.